MIAMI (PM) — Some 1,300 people are still missing in the Bahamas following Hurricane Dorian, officials announced Thursday, down from the 2,500 previously published.
The Bahamian National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) connected the drop to cross-referencing names of missing persons with those in shelters.
“It’s very fluid,” NEMA spokesman Carl Smith told reporters at a press conference in Nassau, the capital of the Bahamas.
The Bahamian authorities have put the official death toll from the devastating Category 5 storm at 50 so far.
But they have stated they expect that number to rise significantly and a former prime minister said he feared the final toll could be in the hundreds.
“Based upon information I have, based on my knowledge, there are hundreds of people who died,” the Nassau Guardian newspaper quoted former premier Hubert Ingraham as saying on Wednesday.
“I pay no attention to 50,” Ingraham stated after touring hurricane-ravaged Abaco Island.
“Hundreds of people have died in Abaco, and significant numbers in Grand Bahama,” the other island severely damaged by the storm, he spoke.
“And I don’t make wild statements,” he stated. “I don’t make uninformed statements.”