EL PASO (PM) — The suspect implicated of killing 22 people at an El Paso Walmart last week informed authorities that he was targeting “Mexicans” and admitted to carrying out the shooting rampage when he surrendered to police.
Law enforcement officials reacting to the scene located a car halted at a junction not far from the Walmart, an El Paso police detective communicated in an arrest warrant affidavit.
They then saw a man — identified as Patrick Crusius, the 21-year-old indicted with capital murder in the situation — depart the car with his hands in the air, the affidavit stated.
He informed them, “I’m the shooter,” Det. Adrian Garcia declared in the affidavit, written on Sunday, the day following the shooting.
Authorities maintain Crusius was the author of a manifesto posted online shortly before the attack that denounced what it called a “Hispanic invasion of Texas.”
Federal officials have characterized the shooting as domestic terrorism and said they are considering federal hate crimes charges in the case. It was one of two mass shootings to transpire within a day, followed just hours later by a rampage in Dayton, Ohio. A gunman there killed nine people before police officers fatally shot him.
Crusius has been in lockup since surrendering to officers and detectives say he has cooperated with them and answered questions. According to Garcia’s affidavit, Crusius relinquished his right to an attorney and agreed to speak, informing them that he traveled from Allen, Tex., a suburb of Dallas, with an assault rifle and multiple magazines.
“The defendant stated once inside the store he opened fire using his AK-47 shooting multiple innocent victims,” Garcia recorded. The detective added that Crusius said his intended targets were “Mexicans.”