COATZACOALCOS, Mx. (PM) — At least 25 people were exterminated in an arson attack by presumed gang members on a bar in the southeastern Mexican harbor of Coatzacoalcos late on Tuesday, President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador stated, in a new blow to his attempts to restrict violence.
Describing the assault as “horrendous,” Lopez Obrador reported at a daily morning news conference on Wednesday that the deaths transpired after the suspected gang members blocked the emergency exits of the bar in Coatzacoalcos and set flame to it.
The attorney general’s office of the state of Veracruz announced overnight that eight women and 15 men perished in the fire at the “Caballo Blanco” bar, and 13 people who were seriously wounded were hospitalized for treatment.
Lopez Obrador said 25 people have died so far and that initial investigation indicated that some suspects behind the attack had been in police custody this year but were later released.
The attack was one of the worst mass killings since President Lopez Obrador attained office in December vowing to appease Mexico by battling corruption and inequality.
So far, however, the amount of murders has proceeded to rise after hitting record levels in 2018.
The deaths follow an attack in April on another bar in Veracruz in the city of Minatitlan that killed 13 people. On that night, 13 people were killed, including a one-year-old baby, while they were celebrating a birthday party for a 52-year-old woman, when the attackers asked for “La Becky”, the supervisor of a gay bar in Minatitlán and they commenced firing.
Besides killing more than a dozen people, the armed assemblage in that attack psychologically tortured those who survived, forcing them to behold how they shot other people. One testimony stated in Spanish, “Those who were crouched were told to turn to see the dead, then they were shot again, to look at them, to look at them and they told you to turn around. I think they were looking for someone, they were pointing at your head or your back with long weapons.”